Sunday, February 2, 2014

Games Workshop's World of Battle: A look back at the history of Games Workshops products and proof of SQUATS

Greetings once again InterWebs!!!! Here is the last of my reviews of Games Workshop's World of Battle in Memphis, TN. This time I would like to share with you one of the coolest things I have seen at a Games Workshop store.....the cases of remembrance! Along the back hall of the venue there were several large glass display cases full of old (really old!) Games Workshop products from way back in the day. Here are some looks back into the past:


So many 2nd and 3rd edition items of which I owned quite a few:

The original Rhino box set which was 3 Rhinos for $20.00 of I remember those days! There is also the Land Raider Box Set behind which was 2 tanks if I remember correctly.

The original Blood Angel army from the Angels of Death Codex:

The original Space Wolf army from the 2nd edition codex:

There was even some Fantasy, the original Chaos army from Realm of Chaos:

The Fantasy cases which were not as stuffed full of items as the 40k cases:

Nice to see an old Horus Heresy boardgame from way back before Forge World got a hold of the Heresy. I never got a chance to play it but it was nice to see they still had the foundation game for the Heresy:

Some of the old Terrain sets were in the cases as well like the Industrial Battleground (aka Necromunda terrain):

The old Epic games but sadly not Titanicus:

The original Space Hulk with all of its expansions! I still have these except the minis. I have never seen the 'Space Marine Assault' box before so that was kind of cool! No idea what it is though.

Great game for Ork players, loved the easy vehicle rules but overall it could not hold up to Necromunda:

Lots of cool little box sets from back in the day including another set I had not ever seen. The Terminators & Tyranids box set was new to me.

Old box sets again including the original RTB01 box set of Marines. It was that box set that got me hooked!

BAM!! Front and Center on a shelf there is proof! GW can't hide the awesomeness of Squats (Space Dwarfs). Sadly the box looked to be opened unlike the others in the cases which might mean it was empty.

Original Devastators box set with a Squat Mole Mortar! Again more proof! I really miss the Squats, I had a huge (well short ) Squat army back in the Rogue Trader days, back before GW wrote them out of the 40k universe.

I must say it was a blast to walk along that hall and look at all the stuff I either had back in the day, still have lurking in storage somewhere, or never even heard of before. I loved the nostalgia of it all and would recommend a stop a look if you are ever in the Memphis area. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look! Take care!

6 comments:

  1. http://boardgamegeek.com/video/14513/space-marine-assault/space-marine-assault-unboxing for space marine assault :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was a perfect look at what the Space Marine Assault box set was all about. I never knew this thing existed. Thanks for sharing that!

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty extensive collection of "old stuff". Some of those boxes look familiar... I wonder if they are the same. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nearly one of a kind shrine. emperor would be proud. shame none amateur yet done this too ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The models almost look like the originals from GW :D Great job

    ReplyDelete
  5. The models almost look like the originals from GW :D Great job

    ReplyDelete